Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Let's Eat

We moved into our house at the beginning of August and since then we have been letting the kids eat at their little  table while Jon and I held our plates.  We sold our old table with our house in Houston and our table in Norway was provided furnished.  I found a table that I liked very early on, but it was almost 1000 euros and it wasn't exactly what I wanted.  Even the tables at Ikea were 200 euros or more and I am not buying any more Ikea furniture unless I absolutely have to.  

I started looking at furniture at the French version of craigslist called Le Bon Coin.  The only problem there is that everything is in French and everyone that is selling on there speaks French.  I found this set of chairs and they offered to deliver for a small fee.  I was able to email back and forth with the sellers using google translate.  We were able to work out a deal and I got this great bench, two arm chairs and two regular chairs for 225 euros, delivered and carried inside.  I am planning on recovering and repainting everything, but that will have to be a project for another day.


I kept looking at Le Bon Coin hoping to luck out with another delivery option or a good deal close by.  Then I found a store in St Ouen advertising a table and chairs.  I looked at the store's website and they have 2 pages of inventory listed on their website.  They also advertise free parking and delivery options.  Last Friday I loaded up Garrett and we made the drive to my new favorite store.  I found several pieces that came home with us, but the most important piece was our table.  It is rough looking with some water damage, it is a little uneven, but it has potential.  And it was only 60 Euros.  I was able to fit all of my find in the back of our new car in just two trips so I got to avoid paying delivery fees!  This will be another fun project one day.


This is my current project, 36 weeks with baby Malachi.  I have an appointment today to see how he is doing and when we might expect to see him.  I am almost done with his nursery, I have all the important pieces in place, now I just need to hang all of the fun artwork on the walls.  Hanging the first few pictures is always the hardest part for me.  Thankfully my mom is coming to see us next week and I know she will be able to help me get things settled around the house.  Right now I am happy to have all the furniture that we need for a family meal.  As tired as I have been these last few weeks I have been able to get dinner on the table for everyone and I love that time with the kids around the table.


And that is the Arc de Triomphe in the background.  How fun is that?  We were at an immigration appointment this morning and as we looked down the street and saw this view it was another one of those moments for us.  We know we are lucky to be having these experiences and I can't wait to put pictures like this into Malachi's baby book.  


Shared at The Scoop.

3 comments:

  1. what cool opportunities! Can't wait to hear arrival of the new frenchman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great collection, love all the nice details and craftsmanship to the furniture, great find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD JOB on the kitchen table! I feel your pain on the craigslist hunting. It's hard--and I'm beyond impressed you figured out this score with a language barrier! SO FUN to see your backyard, stomping ground, and belly! The soccer pics are so cute--I laughed out loud when I read, 'officially a soccer mom.' You've made it! :-)

    ReplyDelete